Friday, January 14, 2011

Special Diets: Gestational Diabetes

I just wrapped up week 2 cooking for a mother-to-be with gestational diabetes and I am happy to report that the parameters for her diet are not as limiting as I had originally feared. Please be aware I am not a doctor nor a registered dietician (or even a nutritionist) and can only speak to this particular case. My client (let's call her Josie) is to avoid the whites: sugar, flour, potatoes; corn, peas, carrots; an egg allergy thrown in for a twist and a few dislikes that we wouldn't be human without. Food is to be dropped off twice a week (vs cooking on-site) with 4 dinners for 2 and 4 lunches for 1 each week. I'm sticking to things that can be reheated easily in the oven or, gasp!, the microwave as she is on limited bed-rest as well.

Here's what I made this week:

January 11, 2011
Lunch
Chipotle Shrimp and 3-Cheese Quesadilla with Guacamole

Snack
Tapenade with Whole Wheat Crostini

Dinner
Pork (tenderloin) Chili Colorado with Warm Corn Tortillas 
Clay Pot Frijoles a la Charro 
Jicama, Watermelon and Arugula Salad with Queso Fresco (okay, it was really Feta ;) and Citrus Vinaigrette  

January 12, 2011
Lunch
Mediterranean Chicken Salad on Arugula with Whole Wheat Pita Chips

Dinner
Garlicy Shrimp with Black Pepper and Bacon
Whole Wheat Linguine
Roasted Asparagus with Meyer Lemon Zest

No comments:

Post a Comment